I remember crying every single night. I would look at myself and hate what I was seeing. I was not happy with who I was because I kept hearing what people thought of me, and I cared about it. After a while, I decided that I didn’t want to cry myself to sleep anymore and that the opinion of others was not going to define me. I knew deep down I was pretty and that I had so much to offer, so why was I letting the people tell me otherwise? My self-confidence depends on me, not on them, right?
I started doing certain things to make myself feel better and more confident, and after a few months I was a person who was in love with herself. If you are feeling like I did, follow these small tips on how to increase your self-esteem, and I promise you, you will love that beautiful face of yours.
- Exercise: and not to lose weight, but to be healthier. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind. If you feed your body with the right food and exercise regularly, you will feel much better and more self-confident. Plus, you will sleep better at night and there is nothing better than a good night sleep to make you feel better.
- Mirror: every time you see yourself in the mirror say one thing that you love about yourself. Try to point a different thing every time and say why you like/love that body part. I used to hate my thighs, so instead of pointing out the size of those, I focused on my eyes or smile.
- Compliment people, as well as yourself: this will help you keep a positive mind.
- Smile: even if you are faking it, try smiling. Smile in the mirror, smile while you are walking around. or while you watch some TV. Just smile. When you smile you free endorphins , and that will make you feel happier. Also, you will look much prettier!
- Never compare yourself to anyone: I once heard that comparison kills joy, and I completely agree. Your beginning cannot be compared to someone’s middle or final, so focus on yourself and your progress as opposed to focusing on what the people around you
- Write down positive things of your life. Write about the extra chicken wing the cute waiter put on your plate or the job opportunity you just got. Write the top three good things of your day and you’ll see how happy you’ll be!
- Always held your head high: and have a good posture. It will not only make you feel better, but look proud of yourself as well.
- Surround yourself with positiveness: post its with cute quotes, a painting that you did, pictures of your friends. Anything that will make you smile when you see it.
And know that no matter what, you are truly beautiful and loved by the people that surround you.